We make most of our family’s bread. I like a simple recipe I can make from memory. I recently made this even easier by putting everything but the water in a zipper bag in the freezer.
1 1/4 c. water
1 tsp. dry yeast
1 tsp. salt
4 cups flour
Knead; go ahead and add flour or water if the dough feels too stiff or sticky. Rise till doubled. Bake at 350 for 30 minutes. Partially cool and bag.
- For those of you who like more info:
- I use white flour, just beacuse I don’t own a wheat grinder.
- I use less yeast, because it makes the bread cheaper per loaf. Just let it rise longer.
- I mix my bread one loaf at a time in our bread machine, then transfer the dough to a loaf pan and let it rise in a cold or mildly warm oven.
- Just let it rise as long as takes to double in size.
- I live in a very dry climate so I like to bag my bread while it is still rather warm to keep a bit of moisture in it.